SharePoint applications comprise a number of customisations which together can fulfil the needs of the customer and the specific market for which it is used. An application includes a combination of
workflows, content, event handlers, web parts and all other types of technologies.
SharePoint capabilities are one of the key aspects of SharePoint Functionality. Developers work on these aspects to compile a solution for different areas such as Communities, Search,
Websites, Content, Insights and Communities. SharePoint offers diverse range of collaboration, document management, publishing and messaging features in a single server. It is hosted on a server
farm or a central server and can be accessed by different users either directly or through a compatible web browser.
- SharePoint 2010 Sites offers single infrastructure for all kinds of business websites. It can be used to develop sites from Internet to extranet sites with the help of blogs, Intranet
portals or wikis.
- SharePoint 2010 Communities offer collaboration tools that include collaborative generation of content and social community. Important community tools include discussion forums, wikis,
collaborative document management and blogs.
- Composites form an integral part of the creation and distribution process. These enhance the process of solution production using WYSWYG tools. The composites enable users to create diverse solutions for business problems through graphic tools. Composites enable the sharing of solutions between users on the SharePoint Server Farm.
- SharePoint 2010 also helps to provide business information through business applications, databases, LOB applications and reports.
- SharePoint offers a web content management platform for the sake of publishing websites.
There is also a document management solution integrated with it used for collaborative document production.
Microsoft SharePoint Online or hosted SharePoint services is necessary when it comes to the management of crucial information, sharing of information and also working on documents. The application and use of cloud functionality helps to create one point from which different employees can collaborate on diverse projects. The flexibility of the framework enables businesses to operate through satellite offices and also by integrating new acquisitions. As with other portal products, SharePoint Portal enables the visitor to generate custom views of the website. The customisation can be either extremely simple or complex. It depends on the version and the type of the product that is been installed.
One of the most useful benefits that project managers derive out of Office SharePoint is access to extensive document libraries, wiki templates, standard blog and shared online work spaces. These are integrated with Microsoft Office Software. These, when merged with email alerts for additions and document changes, help the managers to constantly monitor the project. Microsoft is in charge of all the maintenance work and constantly upgrades the infrastructure. This implies that less time and money is invested in the infrastructural development that helps to achieve the goals and targets of the company.
In the current business scenario, it is necessary to adopt the use of such an application for the sake of knowledge sharing and for the sake of centralised document management.
About the Author
Brian Terrace is a business consultant and shares his views on effective management of data and other integral aspects of business through his publications. He emphasises how
Office SharePoint can be used to manage diverse aspects of workflow management.